Thursday, February 7, 2008

Silk Restoration/Remodel



Look how beautiful its turning out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now look at what I've done..............


Yes, its a giant machine oil spot! I dont know how it got there? all is clean on table hehind? I need ideas to get it out. I am afraid to try SEW CLEAN, or water even? All went well with disassembly, All went well with reconstruction. I was careful.... but then I saw this when advancing back and forth.
I'm going to get more coffee and stare at it some more, hoping that the sheer force of my will will make it GO AWAY NOW!!!
Then of course I'll wake up and bawl
GRUNT
GULP

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would try corn starch first you need to let it sit over night or at least a couple of hours to let it soak up the oil.

Carol said...

Gina - sorry I deleted the first one thought I could edit it.

I have had good success with the corn starch when I left it for several hours. I have even given the problem more than "one treatment" and that did the trick once as well.

It is gorgeous!

Vicki W said...

I'd do the cornstarch thing and then get the fabric to the dry cleaner as soon as possible to remove any remaining stain. OR I'd cut out the stained part and patch it - I don't know if that's an option though.

Desert Threads said...

Look on the bright side.......your quilting is fabulous!!!!

Dianah said...

I'd try the cornstarch. If anything remains take it to a GOOD dry cleaner. They have gotten red nail polish out of silk for me.

Good luck
dy

Deborah Levy said...

I think the cornstarch idea is worth trying...then the drycleaner..one who KNOWS silk! The quilting is making it look just scrumptious!

Quilting For Less said...

Couldn't help but offer my 2 cents worth. Here is a link for cleaning old quilts, maybe it would work for you? I have heard several people use this method. It has to do with using buttermilk. Here is the recipe:

For every gallon of water, add 1 Quart of Buttermilk (butterfat content of 1% or less) and 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice. Make sure you rinse it out well! If your quilt is really dirty, you may wish to use a detergent or enzyme cleaner like Axion or Biz. There is no need to soak for more than 20 minutes. To remove pencil marks, try this recipe: 1/4 c water, 3/4 c. rubbing alcohol, 7-8 drops of Palmolive detergent, Apply with toothbrush.

Good luck,
Susan

Related Posts with Thumbnails