Monday, January 14, 2008

Pork~N~Beef Black Bean Chili


I was asked to post my chili recipe via email....and it made me hungry to whip some up too... Thanks Karen A, Im supposed to be having an underwear day today!
While unconventional, that I use 3 meats, black beans, and red as opposed to bell peppers... this dish is second to none in my book of chili con carne. I’d take the pepsi challenge on it :::wink::: I cook with a few secret ingredients of my own, pork being one of them, especially bacon starts, and the other you KNOW is wine:)
I do love to make soups/beans.. in fact I have a pal that used to "show up" whenever I made a pot of beans... it really got to be eery after awhile.. now I make beans, and I guess I'm too far away, because I keep checking the driveway, and she isnt here? ::sigh:: (H?)
My Dad makes a mean chili too with Venison and pinto, I’ll save that for another time.

Pork~N~Beef, Black Bean Chili
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 pound ground pork
1 pound ground beef
1 pound beef steak, cut into 1-inch cubes or smaller
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups water
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 Tablespoons NM chili powder
2 teaspoons oregano
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 6-ounce cans tomato paste
2 teaspoons sugar (splenda)
3 cups diced tomatoes (fresh)
3 cups diced onions
3 cups diced red bell peppers
3 cups canned black beans, drained & rinsed. ( or go put on a pot!)
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro ( or less, depending on your fondness to this herb)
2 cups (about) beef broth
Grated cheddar cheese
Sour cream dollop
*Avocado diced

Heat olive oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add ground pork and ground beef and sauté until brown. Add cubed beef and garlic and sauté 5 minutes. Add 2 cups water; bring to slow boil. Add cumin, NM chili powder, oregano, salt, and cayenne pepper. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 10 minutes. Add tomato paste and sugar and simmer 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, onions, and peppers and simmer about 30 minutes.
Add black beans and cilantro to chili. Add beef broth ½ cup at a time, until thinned to desired consistency. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. In fact, I prefer day 2! LOL- Excellent for freezing.
Serve Hot with a dollop of sour cream and cheese sprinkled atop chili.
Mine and Walts: add diced avocado on top, and argue over who got more chunks.
My cornbread is a delicious compliment with this dish:)


**CHEFS NOTES:

I sometimes substitute with Kidney beans.....But“black” is my favorite way.

4 comments:

Deborah Levy said...

Looks yummy! Thanks for sharing it...I'm gonna try it!

Dianah said...

Looks like Wednesday nights dinner!

Anonymous said...

I think I will try this but....I have to change somethings to make it kosher :)

B

Anonymous said...

Oh!!! WOW - What a GREAT surprise to find this recipe. I can't wait to make it.

Thank you!

Karen A.

Related Posts with Thumbnails