Sunday, November 6, 2011

Broccoli & Cheese Soup With Bacon Topping

I know it isnt Friday, but I'm quilting while rain pummels my new patio cover! This causes anxiety, so... she cooks.

With every effort to reduce carbs, I love a couple things.. Soups,Breads and CHEESE! So I adjusted this heart attack in a bowl soup to suit my diet.. VOILA! My old recipe has SO much cream and butter and topped with yummy croutons!!! DAMN IT!
 I'm not sure what thrilled me here, the nutmeg or the thyme! Its delish, and you must give it a whirl! Karebear? The kids will adore it!


4 TBSP Butter ( 1/2 stick)
1 Large Onion, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Pinch of Nutmeg
1/2 tsp Minced Garlic
1/2 tsp chopper Thyme leaves
3 TBLSP Flour
3 Cups Chicken Broth
2 Broccoli Crowns chopped into florets and blanched (can sub for 1-16 oz frozen florets)
1/2 cup Half & Half
2 Cups sharp cheddar Cheese
Crumbled bacon for topping ( fry up 6 slices, drain and chop)

In a Soup pot, melt butter over med high heat. Add onions,salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Cook stirring until soft, approx 5 min. Add garlic and thyme and cook stirring until aromatic, about half a minute. Add the flour and cook until well blended. About 2 min. Slowly add the stock while whisking constantly. Bring to a slow boil. Reduce heat to med low and simmer until thickened. About 5 minutes. Add broccoli and cook 10 min longer.
Remove from heat and puree in batches. (be careful). Return all to pot and add the cream, heat through. Add the cheese and cook until melted.
Ladle into bowls and top with crumbled bacon bits.

* to blanch florets:
boil a pot of water, drop florets in, cook 5-7 min. remove and drain. (skip this step if using frozen package)

1 comment:

Rian said...

That looks good. I made split-pea soup--it rained here yesterday too. (We aren't doing low-carb at the moment.) The soup gave us all heartburn.

Related Posts with Thumbnails