Friday, February 6, 2009

Foodie Friday-Stuffed Zucchini w/Ground Beef

Hows that for a weekly recipe? Story? Restaurant review? Lets run with this shall we? We will just add Foodie Friday to our Blog constant content. Feel free to suggest away.

Last evening I made Stuffed Zucchini for 2, as an Entree. Now, no self respecting Italian would be without this dish in her cookbook, but I needed to make it healthier for myself. My DQL (daily quality of life) is at stake here. Walt and I are eating very little these days, he is losing a gazillion pounds, I unfortunately, am finding them. Chit. Must be the wine. Anyway... while playing with this to make it more figure friendly, I reduced the cheese, butter and omitted the cooked rice. I found that I didnt miss it a bit, and they came out wonderful! I would have loved a slice of garlic toast with it, but I passed, and again, I didnt miss it a bit! The recipe can be easily doubled. Also, in years passed I have made this meatless and cut in half diagonally serving as an appetizer. Just in case ya need one for wine 30 or somepin.....::wink::


Stuffed Zucchini W/Ground Beef

2 medium zucchini, rinsed and sliced in half, lengthwise
1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup diced onion
1 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup diced mushrooms
1/4 cup finely diced celery
1/4 cup diced red pepper
1 tablespoon dry white wine (just splash some from your own glass, why measure?)
8 oz lean ground beef
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
----------------------------------------------
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

carefully scoop out the insides of the zucchini halves with a small spoon and reserve in a separate bowl. Set aside the cored halves.
Heat the oil in a large saute pan. Over medium heat saute onion and garlic for 1 to 2 minutes. Then add the mushrooms and saute for 2 minutes more. Add the celery, red pepper and the reserved insides of the zucchini and continue to cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the white wine and cook it down for 1 minute. Add the ground beef and cook, stirring occasionally, maybe 5 minutes. Stir in the seasonings and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat, place in a bowl, and allow to cool.
Once the mixture has cooled, blend in the cheese, egg, butter, salt, and pepper. Fill the cored zucchini with the mixture.
Fill a baking pan with 1/4 inch of water. Place the filled zucchini halves in the pan and bake for 40 minutes at 375 F (preheated), until golden brown. Remove the zucchini carefully from the pan to a warm platter, spooning the juices from the pan on top of them, and serve.

Manja!


I had some mixture left over and baked in ramikins on the side. ( good freezer fast food!!)I also put a few strips of my red peppers I had in fridge on top for presentation. ( pre dieting, I covered with cheese!!!)

6 comments:

Vicki W said...

Congrats for being able to get in the kitchen again!

Diana said...

Good girl! Love to see how you are lightening up your recipes! THAT is the way to eat for life girlfriend!

Deborah Levy said...

looks yummy! Glad you have a functioning kitchen again.

Desert Threads said...

Thanks for the recipe. I had to omit some of the things because I don't have/use them but John like it.
Oh yeah......and we had the garlic toast!

Anonymous said...

Oy, yum! I happen to have all of the ingredients in the frig, so I know what I'll be cooking tomorrow! Love your recipes, G!

Anonymous said...

YUM!! Im trying this recipe tonight. Looks good mom

Related Posts with Thumbnails