Friday, October 8, 2010

Fall= Pepper Season (Stuffed Peppers)

Last night I made a nice creamy soup. I will post that after its typed.  I love red peppers! Its almost time to barter with farmers so I can bbq and put up a giant jar of them. For now, I cook. Dont know why or WHO the hell for... but its good for me. MANJA!

Stuffed Red Peppers

6 large red bell peppers


2 tablespoons olive oil

2 cups chopped onions

6 teaspoons chopped italian parsley

3 garlic cloves, chopped

2/3 cup cooked white rice, cooled

1 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika

1 1/4 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon black pepper

2 1/2 cups canned tomato sauce

1 1/4 pounds lean ground beef ( sometimes I mix half italian sausage/half gr beef)

1 large egg

Cut off top 1/2 inch of peppers and reserve. Scoop seeds from cavities. Discard stems and chop pepper tops. Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, parsley, garlic, and diced pepper pieces, and beef til browned & soften, about 8 minutes. Transfer to large bowl. Mix in rice, paprika, salt, pepper,. Cool 10 minutes. Mix in 1/2 cup tomato sauce, then egg.

Fill pepper cavities with beef mixture. Stand filled peppers in single layer in heavy large pot. Pour remaining 2 cups tomato sauce around peppers. Bring sauce to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover pot and simmer 20 minutes. Spoon some sauce over each pepper. Cover; cook until peppers are tender and filling is cooked through and firm, about 20 minutes. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool, cover and chill. Rewarm covered over low heat.)

I have also done this in the oven, 9x12 pan, peppers cut in half lengthwise and filled, with sauce, cook at 350 for an hour. ( just a different way when I get bored) You can also sub the peppers for green, but I dont like them as much as red. (sweeter) Also, the kids always liked melted cheese on top after cooking.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails