Monday, October 20, 2008

Californians! Yes on Prop 8!

First a few disclaimers: ( I get this from my BFF Heather)
I dont like discussing political fires here for fear of retaliation, or just the plain ole fact that someone may not like me. Therefore, I just dont.
BUT
If I am to stay true to my own method of blogging, which is G, unplugged... I guess I have to dive in . Mom Still says ya gotta stand for somethin or you'll fall for anything."
The truth is, I dont think I'm all that great at articulating what my mind is screaming in here... no really... unless I'm just having a chat with you, over a cuppa.... I dont think I explain myself too well. I spoke with Walt about this last evening, and he gave me a few tips on brainstorming for one. So here goes. I hope I do myself justice...lol if not, please throw soft things.
Its no secret that I dont want any more government in my life than need be. There are many things sacred to me that I dont wish to be told by the government how to think, what to do, more to the point, how to raise my children. I am not a member of the far religious right that the opposers yell about.
CALIFORNIANS HAVE NEVER VOTED FOR SAME-SEX MARRIAGE. (as Massachusetts has done.)
If gay activists want to legalize gay marriage, they should put it on the ballot. Instead, they have gone behind the backs of voters and convinced four activist judges in San Francisco to redefine marriage for the rest of society. That is the wrong approach.
Prop 8 is simple and straightforward. It contains the same 14 words that were previously approved in 2000 by over 61% of California voters: “Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California.”
Prop 8 is about preserving marriage; it’s not an attack on the gay lifestyle. It doesn’t take away any rights or benefits of gay or lesbian domestic partnerships. Under California law, “domestic partners shall have the same rights, protections, and benefits” as married spouses. (Family Code 297.5.) There are NO exceptions. Prop 8 WILL NOT change this. I have a Step daughter at this time USING this code. It will not tell us who or how to love. You are FREE to move about the state loving whom you darn well please, and SO AM I. Frankly, I dont think anyone is interested in my sexual preferences, and Im not interested in yours!

YES on Prop 8 does three things:
It restores the definition of marriage to what the vast majority of California voters already approved and human history has understood marriage to be.
It overturns the outrageous decision of four activist Supreme Court judges who ignored the will of the people.
It protects our children from being taught in public schools that “same-sex marriage” is the same as traditional marriage. (the SAME? REALLY?)Prop 8 protects marriage as an essential institution of society.

The narrow decision of the California Supreme Court isn’t just about “live and let live.” State law will require teachers to instruct children as young as kindergartners about marriage. (Education Code 51890.) If the gay marriage ruling is not overturned, TEACHERS COULD BE REQUIRED to teach young children there is no difference between gay marriage and traditional marriage. WE the people, when asked, did not agree.
We should not accept a court decision that may result in public schools teaching our kids that gay marriage is okay. That is an issue for parents to discuss with their children according to their own values and beliefs. It shouldn’t be forced on us against our will.
While gays have the right to their private lives, as do I, they do not have the right to redefine marriage for everyone else. They do not have the right to say what my children are taught in public school. I can do that well enough myself, thanks.

To give credit where credits due, go to an opposing opinion, well written, altho wrong.. she has that right ( still) and I love her anyway. Cause I can. (still)

Kymn? heres my posted comment.. it was too long for your box? Come for coffee, we'll chat... Relationships ARE indeed hard, and they arent all marriages. Love IS everywhere, in many forms as you stated, but arent marriages. I think the only thing "chipping away" at our freedoms, is a government getting larger and too close for comfort.

13 comments:

The Sarah Bear said...

cuppa??!? POTTA!!!

Gina said...

I think I have 3 pots in the house, BRING IT

wanted to see :::clapping:::
grunt

The Sarah Bear said...

I am clapping for you sharing your opinion! I truly understand how you feel about posting - I have stayed away from it simply because I want to make sure I have a well constructed argument - but essentially, it all comes down to personal values and beliefs - there is not any concrete reason for or against. IMHO

Gina said...

Are u running for an office??

Anonymous said...

Very well written, Gina.

While I fully support civil unions or whatever the key term will be, even as a flaming liberal, I hesitate to redefine the term marriage.

Provide all rights(and subsequent problems) that a married couple has to gay couples? Absolutely.

Change the definition of "marriage"? Not so keen on that. I don't think it would be that terrible, I guess, but I don't think it is necessary.

It's a bit like changing the dictionary. It certainly can be done, but is not always beneficial to society. (Remember when "bad" became the new "good". Talk about confusion!)

I also don't think marriage (however it is defined) needs to be "taught", "defined" and "promoted" in the public schools. Let the parents be responsible for that one.

See. No stones. ;) If I were in California, I would not be thrilled with this turn of events, either.

Christine O.

Thomas (& Laura) Hodge said...

Good work, Gina.
Lori in Colorado

Cheryl L said...

Very well put, Gina. I share your opinions as well. I hold pretty conservative views on most things and feel to redefine marriage would begin a real dismantling of our society. It's in big enough trouble already. I think we're about to experience "big brother" in our lives as never before and that, in my opinion, is NOT a good thing. If the majority decides what they really is want is "change"....well....just hang onto your seats, it's bound to be a rough ride!

Gretchen said...

Actually I think that marriage should be left to the church and civil unions to the state.

Lisa said...

Amen

Anonymous said...

Glad you wrote your opinion, I happen to agree with you, I live in Massachusetts and have chosen to send my little girl to a private school for the very reasons you mentioned!
Celine

Gina said...

Celine, I just watched this film on a recent SF marriage where the teacher actually brought her first grade class to the ceremony. I cant imagine how those lil babies can process this.... Im glad that I dont have school aged kids anymore, but I do have grands... baby grands! SO I'm worried. Glad you have the means for private school.. I think I'll start a bake sale for my grands education:)

The Sarah Bear said...

What?! You don't know how the kids will process this? Are you kidding? They are actually smarter than we are because they don't carry the baggage and all the superfluous meaning that we do. They just see two people getting married and are patiently waiting to go eat cake. Adults are the ones that are making a big deal and then TEACHING our kids to also see right or wrong, black or white.

Grrrrr...

Oh, this is your blog - I will behave.

I need coffee night with you :)

The Sarah Bear said...

Still a little amped up (I have had to venti's in one hour).

My guess is kids aren't going to have nightmares about two women or two men getting married (unless a parent scares them into it). What will cause damage is living in a home where there is domestic violence, unsafe environments where a childs basic needs of safety and security are not being met or are consistently at risk, what will cause nightmares is witnessing truamatic events on a repeated basis either in real life or TV.... let's focus on that if we want to focus on the well being of our children.

Teaching our children in school? Maybe the focus should not be on what gender is marrying, but instead HOW they are treating one another? We don't teach the important things that go far beyond what gender marries. We shold talk about communication, respect, committment, safety, security, the signs of domestic violence and depression... THE REAL CRAP THE CAUSES NIGHTMARES.

I just think we have bigger fish to fry and more important things to teach our children than who should marry who. It's all the life that happens after you marry that matters most.

Oh - I wasn't going to say anything... oops.

I will go to bed.

Related Posts with Thumbnails