Friday, June 29, 2007

Butternut Squash Soup (creamless)


I was in a zoupa mood?
My Friend Blima finally found a butternut squash soup I love!
I just cant stop making it! I love cream, it doesnt love me, I have now a happy medium! Wait til you try my Seafood Chowder! (It has all the cream) When I grow up, I think I'll be the Beach Soup Nazi!
Enjoy!


CREAMY CREAMLESS BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP


1 celery rib, chopped

1 medium carrot, chopped

1 medium onion, chopped ( I use sweet Maui Wowie's)

2 tablespoons fine-quality extra-virgin olive oil

1 lb winter squash such as butternut, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
Tip: Do not be tempted by those peeled for you bags of squash, the flavor is lost, gone, dead, and the soup will reflect this. ( ask me how I know) FRESH is always best!

1/2 lb Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes

1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes (Walt likes more)
4 cups or 1 box of chicken broth ( heated)

1 Teaspoon Salt


Cook celery, carrot, and onion in 2 tablespoons oil in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally, until tender but not browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Add squash, potatoes, pepper flakes and salt. Stir in 4 cups heated broth and simmer, covered, until vegetables are very tender, about 20 minutes.


Purée soup in batches in a blender or food processor...(use caution when blending hot liquids).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the sound of this soup - will have to try some. Thanks for posting the recipe.

Gina said...

Denada` Mi Amiga! You will love it too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails