Friday, February 25, 2011

Fideo ( Angel Hair Pasta Nests)

"There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great,
and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something tomorrow." Orison Swett Marden

 
Fideos,Angel hair pasta nests that are toasted in oil, are popular on the eastern coast of Spain. They are prepared in the same manner as some steamed rice dishes.
My Mother was born in Pueblo Colorado, and her Father a Renound entertainer from Spain. To this day I try to figure out how my Ma's cooking is so diverse, much like my taste in music me thinks! She has recipes that I now have from different parts of mexico, Spain, and Italy! Both ends of Italy! maybe she just liked to cook? My Father being Sicilian musta influenced her too right? Whoa.. where am i going with this? Oh!
So the other night I had company for dinner and I am aware of Miss Sarah being a picky eater, so I decided how can ANY kid resist funny looking pasta? So I made Ma's Fideo. To my surprise, Sarah passed! ( oh the horror of it all). But her mama loves pasta so SCORE!
A welcomed change from Spanish rice in my family, and the kids love it! They always called it Mexican Basghetti.... lol

1/4 cup canola oil
1 Package Coiled or nests of Angel Hair pasta ( fideo)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (15 oz)  of Italian style diced Tomatoes ( or Mex)
1 can ( 15 oz) chicken broth
salt to taste
*red pepper chili flakes if no kids) BAM!

*Can be topped with Queso Fresco ( mexican cheese) But why add fat, right?

In a large Saute pan with a tight fitting lid, heat oil and add garlic and oinion. Saute for about 3 minutes, add fideo coils and brown nicely. Medium High Heat. Dont let your fire get too hot as your onions will char. Turn frequently without disturbing the nests too much. ( maybe 10 min or less)
* ( for a different style you can break up nests for teeny spaghetti-ish look)
Sprinkle some salt over the nests. ( red pepper flakes optional)
Mix tomato into broth and microwave about a minute. ( ya want it hot but not boiling)
Pour this mixture over the Fideo, listen for the sizzle, delight in the uprising aroma and quickly fit the lid on top! Remove from heat, walk away. Go pour your wine.... the second glass. DO NOT lift lid for at least 10-15 minutes, and Voila! Tis done. Enjoy.



PS: When you see me again, Guess where I'll be?
(why did I just feel like Wheres Waldo?)

"The tragedy in life doesn't lie in not reaching your goal.
The tragedy lies in having no goal to reach."
Benjamin Mays

1 comment:

The Sarah Bear said...

Been there, read this - need to know where you and the penske are today! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails