Saturday, September 20, 2008

2nd Annual Margarita-Avocado Festival-Morro Bay






We went, we saw, we decided............

That:
There were locals putting on the show, tourists visiting. I challenge more locals to come out and support this event so it will grow and show the pride of Morro Bay more effectively. I do include ourselves in this group.
Margaritas? They are clueless how to make them.They should call Walt, & btw, what does margaritas out of a blender machine have to do with our home grown avocados anyway? If you wish to grow this type of show, open it up to the American way of competition. Who makes the best? ( I know who) One type of Tequila, one type of sticky sweet syrup, wheres the choices? Did anyone ask if I prefer Casadores in my drink? We Americans dig choices.
Avocados, flippin Delicious, every one, every kind, sample all, pick one. Oh hell, pick em all! I saw several separate farmers, none of them with a clue as to what was going on, except to sell their harvest. I was so confused at which type is growing in my backyard, that I decided I knew what I was doing in going to the avocado ranch to purchase my favorite variety. ( HAAS). My tree is thin skinned and the name escapes me right now. I'll ponder it. ( halfheimers)
We need more vendors, food N drink oriented. Lets see.... ceramic dishes, ( avocados of course). Pottery, Mexican.... How about linens? textiles.... all kinds of mediums... and hey! Where are the aprons for the event??? Cookbooks! (recipes from the locals, hot potato I tell you! Run with the theme peoples:) And the cream of the crop???....QUILTS!!! Ronda? It aint easy being green??? Photographs!! Views of the local area, especially our groves of avocados? Theres so much money to be made here I can smell it. Smelllllll it!!
I wonder if the chamber of commerce, or the powers that be investigated other venues such as the asparagus festival, strawberry festival, garlic festival,...etc... If you're reading, give me a call. I 'll help ya:) There was no HISTORY on these lucious fruits to be found!
We need more space. The old RV stretch of real estate isnt nearly enough to accommodate, however I am very glad that they got those RV's off of the Embarcadero. The crowds love our Chess players park outside the gates.
The bands were excellent, as were the speaker systems. I would sure like to have a time slot for Mariachi music as well. I mean come on, if you are to promote guacamole and margaritas, GO THE DISTANCE !!! OH! Flour chips made on site, to thrill the guacamole lovers! All in all we had fun for a few hours, and I took notes, snapped pics, and drank some yummy wine. I didnt buy the t-shirt, but I did spend my share of tourist monies there... Your Welcome. To all of you visitors, stay tuned for a bigger better show as it can only grow, and get better with age. Be sure and come down to visit. I guess in this case it DOES take a village. Our village.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fun Avocado Facts: (geez I'm such a geek)


  • Called ahuacatl ( ahwuakatee) in the Aztec language, avocados were a favorite of the Aztecs, who considered them a sexual stimulant and, therefore, a forbidden fruit. ( I flippin knew it!!) Although its alluring shape certainly mimics the soft curves of a woman and its many nutrients might explain the avocado's amorous reputation, science can neither confirm nor deny that the avocado is an aphrodisiac.


  • Spanish conquistadores loved the fruit but couldn't pronounce it and changed the Aztec word to a more manageable aguacate, which eventually became avocado in English. The first English-language mention of avocado was by Sir Henry Sloane in 1696.

  • Fast forward to 1871, when Judge R.B. Ord of Santa Barbara successfully introduced avocados to the U.S. with trees from Mexico. By the early 1900s, growers were seeing the avocado's commercial potential.


  • Today, California is the leading producer of domestic avocados and home to 95% of the nation's crop. San Diego County, which produces 40% of all California avocados, is the acknowledged avocado capital of the nation.

  • California avocados are grown year-round. A single California avocado tree can produce up to 60 pounds of fresh fruit each year, approximately 120 pieces.
    The great thing about a California Hass avocado is that its pebbly skin turns from green to nearly black when it's ripe. Look for fruit that is average to large, oval-shaped and heavy
    Avocados were once a luxury food reserved for the tables of royalty Latin Americans wrap avocados up and give them as wedding gifts

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails